Thursday 28 June 2012

Laughter Yoga OR Stand up comedy?

I heard about laughter yoga only recently, which is a form of yoga employing self-triggered laughter. It was made popular as an excercise routine developed by an Indian physician Madan Kataria.

Apparently the body cannot differentiate between fake and real laughter and according to scientific observation, both fake and real laughter provide the same physiological and psychological benefits.

My question is... why would anybody want to force themselves to laugh? Why not just watch stand up comedy? Chris Rock, Jeff Dunham or Eddie Murphy will make it so much easier and worth the while for you to laugh, rather than forcing yourself to laugh.

Obviously it will not be a form of yoga if you slouch on the couch to watch stand up comedy, so rather watch stand up comedy... standing up straight. It will probably have a much better effect than your typical laughter yoga.

Believe me, I am not being judgmental at all.
I will probably first have to read Mr Kataria's book, laugh for no reason, or try out laughter yoga myself, before I really fathom the whole laughter yoga thing.


2 comments:

  1. Hi via Bloggers! Sad that some people have forgotten how to laugh but from what I've seen it looks positive. NB they were also laughing lying down >< I hope you are not short on laughs but I watched this the other day again and it still made me laugh on my fav subject Cake with Jim Gaffigan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o-u4IwXkbE
    PS you can laugh on the couch for this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the idea there would be some apprehensions from segment but i am up for it.

    ReplyDelete